Maybe it is my age showing, but I find it hard to keep up with all the slang that kids use these days. Social media makes it worse because it is easier to use the slang and abbreviations. Some kids even have special codes that parents can’t read. So, I can understand the pain of anyone who goes onto social media with a blank look on their face as they see all the abbreviations and slang that is being used. I’ll help keep you from going insane, however. Take a look at some of the terms that you should know if using Instagram, Facebook, or other social sites.
- SEO: Search Engine Optimization (Process of making your site visible within a search engine)
- IDC: I Don’t Care
- IG: Instagram
- FB: Facebook
- LOL: Laugh Out Loud
- LMBO: Laughing My Butt Off
- WTH: What the Heck
- JJ: Just joking
- TBT: Throwback Thursday ( Usually includes a photo)
- TBH: To Be Honest
- Followers: People who follow your account (i.e. fans) and keep track of the latest posts and information concerning your Instagram account
- Traffic: The amount of visitors that come into your page or website
- Troll: A person who uses social media to incite trouble with other people. They usually operate under fake accounts so no one knows their true identity.
- Meme: An image a video that is made in a humorous manner designed to entertain
- Trending: A name given to a topic that is popular on social media for a given time period.
- Influencer: An influencer is someone that has made a name for themselves on social media. People know their name and trust them and the work they offer.
- Clickbait: Paid advertisement that uses deceptive headlines to attract clicks
- eBook: An electronic version of a book
- Peak Hours: The best times of the day or night to make a post on social media to generate the most response
- Analytics: Information that businesses can use to better tailor content to their audience at the right times. It is a vital part of a good SEO campaign but can benefit at other times as well.
- Blog: A blog post in an article-base operated by one person that pertains to a certain topic or interest. Most people have blogs these days.
What You Don’t Know Can Hurt you on Social Media
These terms are some of the many that you will see when using social media. You’ll also see a lot of talk about how to get instant followers on sites like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. You can do this via natural, or organic, ways as well as by buying them. For example, you will get more organic followers when you post unique content, and when you buy real followers that have active accounts your follower numbers will go up which will attract more attention. There are many other terms that you should know but this information will help you get started. Now you must try to keep up which is a hard job!